Monday, February 8, 2010

When I was thirteen

This is really old and I apologize. I hate reading instructions...you would think that as an English major, I wouldnt mind reading anything. But anywho....when I was thirteen, I remember wanting to be an adult. My parents were strick and I found myself always rebelling. I loved school at the time, it was my source of entertainment. I was in the same school as many of my cousins and close friends. My cousin and I wanted to adults so bad, we decided that make up will help us look older. My mom didnt know how to deal with me, so I was usually my dad's responsibility lol. My mom was the soft spoken one in the family and hated confrontations. I used to watch certain channels like BET's 106 in park, so I could relate to the kids in my class. Thats where we heard the lastest music, was the lastest fashion styles and found out about the lives of celebrities we idolized. I remember watching all the movies where love always had a happy ending... I dreamt of what life would be like...when I met my prince charming.


Even as a thirteen year old, I held many responsibilites. I helped my mother cook and clean all the time. My brother was also born around that time, so my life changed dramatically. While my mom was working, I baby sat my little brother and sisters....among other things. My mother was raised among tradition people, so she raised me in a traditional manner as welll...meaning that I was taught how to do these womanly duties at an early age.

No comments:

Post a Comment